Sunday, November 2, 2008

There's a pumpkin on my shoulder


I have come to realize that Halloween is the most amazing holiday ever. Period. I started getting excited about it 4 weeks ago when I bought our first round of Halloween candy – 4 bags of my favorite treats. (I have no restraint by the way, which will make my New Year resolutions difficult to follow.) My dinner the next couple of nights consisted of Halloween candy. I finally decided I much rather see the candy in the trash versus on my hips, so I threw it all away. I waited until a couple of days before Halloween to get more and specifically picked candy I didn't care for. I now know why people give out dots.

Fast forward to Halloween. All day, I was anxiously waiting to dress Emily up in her Halloween shirt (we passed on the costume since we were just passing out candy). I even donned orange and black to get in the holiday spirit. Why do things get so much cooler when you have children? Anyways, we got all dressed up and finally got our first trick-or-treaters right before it got dark. Then we waited, and waited, and waited. And waited. I opened my door to see if there was anyone coming and I realized my front porch light was out. It was pitch dark (thanks to the stupid idea to push back daylight savings) and everyone thought we weren't giving out candy. Halloween came and went for us in one ring of the doorbell. Better luck next year!


We did go down to the neighbor's Halloween party to drop off all my extra candy. (Don't want that stuff hanging around the house!) There were tons of kids, so I figured they could split it up. It was CRAZY down there. Probably 20 different families and tons and tons of kids. It made me so excited for Emily to grow up and wear a costume one day and run around with her friends. The parents were all dressed up, as well. There were some pretty good costumes, including a couple Sarah Palins and a marine coated in brown camo paint to look like Barack Obama.
I'm already brainstorming for next year's costumes.




No comments: