Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hats off to this lady...

Okay, okay. So, turns out there is another important thing going on today... the elections! Luckily (sorta) for Jolie, Jarrod's arrival got pushed back to 4am, which wasn't really unexpected since we are dealing with the military here. She was quite excited about watching the election, and then realized she would be missing it all since she would be up on base waiting. I know 4am is not a great time to go pick your husband up from his 7 month deployment to Afghanistan, but at least she gets to do both now, right?

Back to the election... my mom made it her mission this year (with a lot of pushing from me) to get my grandmother registered to vote. My grandmother celebrated her 90th birthday this past August and, apparently (although, it is up for debate), has never voted. Ever. This election is obviously important, and how cool is it that she is voting for the first time at 90 year olds???

So, my mom went and picked her up today. My grandmother got all dressed up for the occasion, but wouldn't you if you were her age and it was your first time? My grandmother is not that mobile, so my mom wheeled her up to the polls. I guess a lot of people in her area voted early, because my mom said there was nobody there. They basically walked right up to the voting booth. Since my mom was assisting her in voting, she had to take an oath that she wasn't persuading her in any way. Then my grandmother performed her civic duty and voted! On the way out, she looked up at my mom and asked, "That was it?"

I know, grandma. Quite anticlimatic. There was so much hype leading up to it, and in a single second it was all over, much like our trick-or-treating experience this year. How was your first voting experience? Did you expect people waving flags, too, when you left and, maybe, a marching band outside playing some patriotic song? Isn't that what happens in the movies? And we all know, real life is ALWAYS like the movies.

It might not have lived up to your expections, but we are all proud of what you accomplished today!

1 comment:

Feralhousewife said...

That is awesome for your grandma. I am so very proud of her.