Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

Although most people celebrate New Year on January 1st, it is common knowledge that there are other's around the world who celebrate it at various times of the year. There is the well known Chinese New Year, which happens between January 21st and February 21st, and different New Year celebrations also exist for the following areas: Tibet, Iran, various parts of India, Assyria, Nepal, Thailand, and Cambodia, to name a few.

I have recently declared November 1st as New Year's Day in this Wetzel household (oh, the things I subject Emily to!) This is all due to this:


While we were in DC, it was the weekend of the annual Marine Corps Marathon. As with any new mom, there are obviously a few pounds currently packed on my body (mainly my hips) that I need to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy size. The city was taken over by runners on Sunday, and we even ventured down to the finish line to see all the action. On the way down there, we were throwing out every excuse as to why we would never be able to run a marathon, including that we weren't really "runners." Have you ever seen who runs marathons??? Let me just say, it is not made up of the Usain Bolt's in the world. We were in shock as to how many heavier, older people run this thing (or at least the 10K). They put us to shame. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to run it, as well.

I decided that even though running isn't my thing (although, Susan always tells me I have the legs for it), this year I am going to become a runner. Plus, running long distances really is perfect for me because I love eating food. (Did you see how much Michael Phelps eats everyday?) Right then and there, I declared November 1st as my New Year. I just decided that I can't wait until the real New Year to start my resolutions. So, here they are...

1. Train for a marathon (or, at least, a 10K)
2. Fit back into all my pre-pregnancy clothes (this one requires #1 to be followed through with)
3. Eat healthier (I'm leaving this one a little vague)
4. Blog everyday (with understanding that some days are too busy)

And, thanks, Aubree for checking on me this afternoon to make sure I started following my resolutions. I had actually forgotten all about it. Looks like I will be starting tomorrow...

No comments: