Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A is for amazing applesauce

When we were learning all about A last week, we made applesauce in the crockpot. This is an old recipe that I use to make with my mom. I knew it was good, but I forgot exactly how much I loved it. Unfortunately, it didn't last long, especially when Daniel discovered it. Note to self: double recipe next time!


We are getting into apple season, so I just wanted to pass along the recipe. It really couldn't be any easier. I peeled the apples and cut pieces off the core. Then I gave Emily a plastic knife and she cut the apples into smaller chunks. She also measured everything out and mixed it all together. I love cooking with her in the kitchen, but hate many recipes because they seem to cause too much of a mess with little kids. (I am a clean freak when it comes to that. I know, my kids are missing out on many opportunities. They can deal.) This was the perfect recipe that she could pretty much do all by herself and didn't require much clean up. Win, win for both of us!

Slow Cooker Applesauce
6-8 servings

8 apples, quartered, pared, and chopped (any variety will work, but we used red delicious)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup water

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. After allotted time, mash the apples with a potato masher right in the slow cooker. Cool and enjoy!


No comments: