Thursday, March 4, 2010

And I thought we were being unique

I have always been somewhat bitter about what my parents named me. They named me after my two grandmothers -- Elizabeth, who is my father's mother, and Lorraine coming from my mother's mother, Olivia Lorraine. Not that this wasn't a good idea, it's just that I have always loved the name Olivia more than the name Lorraine. In all honestly, though, Elizabeth Olivia or Olivia Elizabeth maybe doesn't flow as well as Elizabeth Lorraine. Growing up, I knew I always wanted to name a little girl Olivia. It was such a unique, pretty name. I just loved it.

When we found out we were having a second girl, the name game wasn't too difficult this time around. My grandmother is getting older and we thought it would be special if she was around when we named a child Olivia. A couple of days ago, an article popped up on Yahoo about how some older names are making a comeback on the top baby name charts. I clicked the article and to my surprise I found Olivia in the top 5.

Seriously?

Not that it really matters, but I have been waiting my whole life to name a child Olivia and nobody else has seemed to really care for it. Until now.

Now it just looks like we are following the pack.

1 comment:

Cupcakes and Combat Boots said...

I love love LOVE vintage names and I REALLY love the name Olivia! Don't let the fact that it's suddenly popular again stop you...it's a family name for you, not a popularity thing. I hope little Olivia makes her appearance very soon. :)