Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Girls' Room, Part 1

I have been absolutely exhausted this past week FINALLY getting the girls room together. It isn't anywhere close to being done, but Daniel and I made a lot of progress. I cannot wait to show everyone the finished project, but as for now, here is is the background...

It all started right after Olivia was born and my mother-in-law was visiting. I think we had the television on HGTV the whole time she was staying with us. It was during that time that I fell in love with Sarah Richardson -- I had never seen her show, Sarah's House, before. Every once in a while I like what a designer does on HGTV, but Sarah is different. There really isn't a room of hers that I have seen that I don't drool over. I went absolutely crazy over her style.


It has really become the inspirations for decorating the house we are in. Then I ran across the following room from Jenny at Little Green Notebook. I absolutely loved what she did with her girls' room. Those headboards! Suddenly, our girls' room was starting to take form in my head. It must have layering of fabrics, great color, and two upholstered headboards.


I am also a little obsessive compulsive about things matching. I just knew, given my children's ages, that they would be bringing all kinds of treasures into their room to showcase. I wanted there to be a lot of colors in their room so that whatever they brought in would match.

Once we knew we were moving to Houston, I found some upholstered headboards for sale on craigslist and jumped on them. Literally. I lined things up as we packed up our house in NC and told the guy to wait until we got to Houston. Looking back, it was probably a waste because we could have easily made them ourselves, since they were going to be reupholstered anyway. Whatever. You win some, you lose some.

Once we got to Houston and the headboards were in our hands (more like my in-laws garage, since we were still homeless) we went to search for the perfect starting fabric. I wanted a large-print, floral design that had lots of girly colors in it, including turquoise. Unfortunately, when you get something like that stuck in your head, you aren't going to find it. I found one print at Calico Corners I liked, but at $54/yard (and needing 4 yards) it would be too pricey of a project. Luckily, my mother-in-law had some luck on the remnant table at Hancock Fabrics.


The fabric was exactly what I was looking for, but there was only 2 yards of it. My mother-in-law suggested I use a solid fabric for the headboards and make large pillows out of the floral. Sold. So we had a room that was painted the wrong color, headboards that were in the wrong fabric, and a base fabric to work off of. Funny enough, though, the room and the headboards happened to match. The previous occupant of the room was a little girl who loved pink bows, apparently. Emily insisted on taking every new person into her room to show it off as I stood by and made a lot of excuses. Everyone always thought I had planned it that way. It had a LONG way to go!


I knew I wanted a striped fabric with all the colors for the bed skirts, but when my mother-in-law pointed out how much yardage was needed for bed skirts, I knew that was a no-go. I was stuck. And then the room just sat... for about a year....

No comments: