Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Our traumatic afternoon

Our dog almost died today in front of my very eyes.

I think I saved her life, though.

It was the most traumatic thing I have ever experienced.

I wish I could say I was exaggerating here, but the truth is, words can't do justice what I experienced.

We are currently in the midst of Operation "Walk This Baby Out." Emily, Roxy, and I had such a good time and we were about 100 yards away from our house. All of a sudden a neighbor's dog jumps over their fence and come straight for us. The next thing I know, the dog has Roxy in her mouth, has lifted her 2 feet in the air, and is shaking (attacking) her like a ragdoll. Without thinking, I threw all of myself (and my 37 week belly) on top of the dog and was doing everything I could to get it to release our little one. It was a good minute of me pinning down a large dog with all my might before the owner heard my screaming and ran out to take her dog away. It was so unreal. It was like I was watching some animal out in the wild with a piece of meat.

All I know is...

1. the dog jumped over the fence like it was no big deal... this doesn't seem right, especially with all the little kids in our neighborhood
2. Roxy looked like a stuffed animal being shaken violently in the dog's mouth
3. I honestly thought Roxy was dead

I was HYSTERICAL, as you can imagine. I was quite shaken up from not only what happened to my dog, but also what happened to me. Not the perfect afternoon for someone who is full-term pregnant, you know?

Thankfully, Daniel called just then that he was on his way home from work. The whole family loaded in the car and we rushed her to the vet. She had huge, bleeding gash marks on her side from the dog's teeth and ended up in surgery. We finally got her back last night around 10:30 and she is doing well in recovery.

I'm in recovery, as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart is beating so fast after reading that. Oh my gosh Liz! First off, I am glad that you and the baby are okay. Second, I am glad that Roxy is holding up and you were able to get her to the vet on time. Oh my gosh! Was it the neighbor behind you with the two German Shepards? I am so glad everyone is okay!
~Rebecca

Cupcakes and Combat Boots said...

Liz I am SO GLAD Roxy is okay!! I don't even know what I would do if that happened to Libby but I doubt I would have been as brave as you were. That's just an awful thing to live through, not to mention when you're full-term pregnant! Are yall going to file a grievance against the neighbor's dog? GOOD LUCK with the impending labor!! I hope it goes quickly and easily. Thinking of you.