Tuesday, February 9, 2010

All things pregnancy related

1. Weight - I really don't understand my weight gain this pregnancy. With Emily, I ate horribly, didn't workout that much, and literally gained the textbook amount every week. This pregnancy, I have been eating healthier, working out more, and my weight gain is all over the place. One month, when it should have been two pounds, I gained 10 pounds. The next month, I only gained 1/2 a pound. Then, I gained 15 pounds the next month for no reason. All the while, by the way, my clothes fit the exact same. This past month, I gave up on being healthy -- eating in Charleston, pizza, hamburgers, sugar, sugar, sugar, etc. I got weighed yesterday and found out I gained only 4 pounds, which is exactly what I was suppose to gain. Obviously my weight gain has nothing to do with what I eat, which is a nice revelation. I really won't be worrying about my food intake the last couple of weeks.

2. Lamaze - When learning about labor, everything makes so much more sense when you have already been through it once. All the information seemed to go in one ear and out the other last time. We finally understand. Unfortunately, we are also seeing that my last labor was not ideal. I mean, I can't complain too much. It was unusually short for a first-timer, but we are realizing it could have been way better. Suggestions for an easier labor -- don't let them hook you up to an IV the second you get there (unless it is medically necessary), continuous fetal monitoring is not necessary, remember to change positions, and laying on your back during labor is the most painful position. I got to the hospital, they gave me an IV immediately, hooked on the fetal monitor, and had me laying on my back the WHOLE time. Wonderful. At least we know now.

(I am not one to demand laboring all natural. My last labor was so short, I am worried that with the second one being shorter, I won't have time to get an epidural and want some techniques to get through the pain. I have heard too many stories of women getting to the naval hospital and by the time the anesthesiologist gets to them, they are too far along.)

3. Getting ready for the baby - Although I pulled out and washed all our newborn clothes on January 1st, I have not done anything else to prepare for this baby. I am 99% sure she is coming early, and 98% sure she is coming earlier than Emily, but I don't want to get out everything and jinx myself. The midwife I saw yesterday gave me the green light to get everything together. She said that I am officially in the period where it is not considered wishful thinking. That is some exciting news for a pregnant woman. Now I just need to start walking 5 miles a day...

No comments: