Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Girls' Room, Part 2

Like I said, the room sat there for almost a year in pitiful condition.

Luckily, Emily didn't mind. I mean, what three year old does? I set a goal in my head to have the room ready by the time the new baby came, since that is when Olivia would be kicked out of the nursery. Oh, how the second child gets everything.

So this huge roadblock, let's face it... it is money. Isn't it always? My house would be amazing if I had the money to decorate it the way I wanted. I have these grand visions, but no means to follow through right now. Someday. For the girls' room, I had to be resourceful and figure out what my priorities were. I really wanted the room to turn out exactly how I wanted, versus go the cheaper option and never really be fully content with the outcome. Hence, the long time it took to get the ball rolling.

I thought long and hard about what to do for the bed skirt. It couldn't be solid, since I knew I wanted to layer patterns and I would already have solid headboards. That is when I remembered some striped bedding I had when I was younger.


My mom had mentioned that she was holding on to it for me, so I called her up. I had queen bedsheets and a bed skirt in this striped fabric, and I knew I could easily make two twin bed skirts out of all the material. Striped bedding in hand, we were on our way. And that is where things got crazy.

So, the bedding had most of the colors I wanted, but was missing turquoise (the color of the headboards) and purple (the color of the sheets I had already gotten and Emily's favorite color). I had read this blog post once, in which someone painted extra colors onto some pillows in their living room. I know this is so incredibly insane, but I actually painted more stripes onto the bedding. Seriously. What was I thinking??? This is really why it took me so long to get the room started. It must have been a 6 month ordeal. I mean, with two little kids, I could only paint once they were in bed and when Daniel was not home, since it consumed all my attention. Little by little by LITTLE it came together.


I used painters tape to mark everything off.


And the final product. Lighting doesn't do the colors justice, but it is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank goodness, after all those long hours!

1 comment:

Candace said...

You are my IDOL. I swear :)